Saturday 25 May 2013

The Big Race: A Firsthand Account


Reality hits me as we approach the American border – we are crossing a line that has never been crossed before. I turn to Raheel to my right, and laugh at our whole experience. Seven months ago, we didn’t even know how to cut steel tubing, much less how to weld it. Six months ago, I thought the buggy could be built with just $150. We’ve come so far.

Thursday morning at the US Space and Rocket Center, dozens of teams are setting up. At our site, number 79, we unpack and assemble the buggy that we hurriedly put together at home. We slide the hinge pin in, uniting the front and rear sections of the frame, and nut-and-bolt all of the parts on. Seeing our fully assembled buggy for the first time in its painted glory, I feel a wave of satisfaction. We receive a lot of attention from other teams. I wasn't sure whether they are offended by our plethora of Canadian flags or if they are curious about the wheelbarrow wheel (which we had nicknamed the Skara Wheel), but man, the buggy looks good. The welding blemishes were disguised by our hammered paint, the red accents look sexy, and the sponsor stickers look professional. This is Canada’s High School buggy. Our Creation.

Nancy and I sit anxiously behind the starting line, watching Team Russia charge into the finish line in their (rumored $30 000) buggy. Our assembly is a rather slow 47 seconds. We are already at a disadvantage. The Puerto Rican team in front of us undid a pin, let their buggy literally spring open, and sat on it in three seconds flat. The NASA TV representative smiles at us, then he slips under his breath, “It seems the key is to go fast into that first obstacle. I've been standing here all day and everybody is getting stuck.” With only one drive wheel, the risk of getting stuck was my biggest fear.

We listen and power into the dirt mound at the sound of the loudspeaker signal, fueled by anxiety and adrenaline from the cheering crowd. We hit the first mound and it acts like a ramp giving us a foot of air. I notice our direction is skewed, so I desperately steer sharply to the left in midair. This is a bad idea. As soon as we land, the right wheel, now sideways, slams against a concrete mound, and sends me lurching forward into my seat belt. (When I watched the race video later, I saw the rear of the buggy swing over a meter upwards from sheer momentum, almost tipping Nancy over my head. Maybe that’s why there was a deep ooooh from the crowd.) I look down at my right wheel but in its place I see a potato chip. I mean, this rim is so bent, it looks like it will collapse if another pound is put on it. Not to mention the wheel alignment is completely off; the two wheels point at each other nearly perpendicularly. Once the crowd dies down, a soft hiss comes from the tube. A flat to top it off.

Failure.

We push the buggy back to our tent, met with many looks of pity on the way. I lie down in the shade without saying a word, exhausted. I feel my eyes begin to water, but I quickly wipe them dry, remembering I am the team leader.

We spend the entire evening making repairs, not even stopping for dinner.

Over breakfast the next morning we go over the plan again and again: go slowly, make wide turns, hold the steering tight. We roll up to the starting line, receiving many encouragements from teams that remembered our rim from yesterday. Today we are going to finish the Great Moonbuggy Race.

We push forward at the sound of the air horn, but not with the same urgency as yesterday. I line the buggy’s wheels up steadily with the same obstacle that cut our run short yesterday. I pull both handlebars inward with a death-grip as the nose rises from the bump. The buggy slowly makes its way over the obstacle. The audience cheers.
I feel a rush of euphoria as we ride away. We go into the second bump much faster than yesterday. Nice and steady, we make it over no problem.  We ride the same way through the remainder of the course, toppling over twice on uneven ground, but we save ourselves by simply stepping over the side and stabilizing the vehicle. Through the Ejecta Rays, the lunar crater, underneath the Saturn V, back up the hill, through the undulating terrain, and finally though the finish line, greeted by an enthusiastic crowd. I am winded by the time we finish, but the euphoria is indescribable. 7:22. We did it. Mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment